We are recruiting an Early Stage Researcher to work on the Development of Decision Support System & Spectral Classification tool meta-plug-ins for the jMRUI platform as part of the TRANSACT-ITN European project.
We seek a highly motivated and qualified individual as Early Stage Researcher for a three-year applied research project. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of advanced biomedical research tools in the field of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and Imaging, and its application to the clinical day-to-day practice.
The position is intended for a young post-graduate student/researcher, with a Master degree or equivalent on Engineering or Computer Science, and with a proficient knowledge of the Java programming language. Prior experience on signal and/or image processing, segmentation and pattern recognition applications in the field of biomedical research is an asset, particularly in the field of Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy and/or Imaging.
The TRANSACT Initial Training Network investigates theoretical and practical aspects of in vivo Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) and Spectroscopic Imaging (MRSI) with applications in oncology and neurology. The ITN will host 13 Early Stage Researchers, each performing an individual research project on topics ranging from spectral quality assurance criteria to optimal exploitation of complementary multi-modal magnetic resonance imaging modalities. The research training will be supervised by a consortium of 10 academic and 4 industrial partners with wide expertise in basic science, clinical research and information technology.
The job opening at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) covers a 3-year research position in the frame of a 4-year doctoral program resulting in a PhD degree awarded by UAB. The main part of the research work will be carried out at UAB, Spain (Main supervisor: Prof. Carles Arús), and will include two 3-months research secondments at Univ. Bern, Switzerland (Co-supervisor: Dr. J. Slotboom).
This project will address clinically relevant classification questions by pattern-recognition-based methods for MRS data. Extensions of methods for tumour typing/grading to multi-voxel data available within the project and to higher fields will be explored. Software for spectral classification is not currently available in widely distributed platforms such as jMRUI. Therefore, a new layer of meta-plugins for decision support and spectral classification, as well as accompanying software will be developed based on prior experience of UAB within the INTERPRET and eTumour European projects. Finally, criteria for accuracy and outlier exploration (another aspect of quality control) will be applied to the clinical tools used for classification/discriminating purposes.
Nr of positions available:
- 1 position for 3 years. The start date is scheduled for the 2nd trimester of 2013.
- Engineering – Biomedical engineering
- Computer science
- Early stage researcher or 0-4 years (Post graduate)
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
- The position will be funded at the applicable Marie Curie rates.
Marie Curie ITN Eligibility Conditions
- Early-Stage Researchers must, at the time of recruitment by the host organization, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organization, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date.
How to apply
- Send an application letter as well as a Curriculum Vitae and the names of two/three referees to: and .
- Required Education Level Degree: Master Degree or equivalent
- Degree Fields: Engineering or Computer science
- Required Languages / Level: ENGLISH / Excellent
- Additional requirements: Requirements to enrol in a PhD Programme at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Application closes on 28th February 2013.